Tax paperwork is often a pain to fill out, particularly when you run across many forms with similar titles. Here, we’ll explain IRS Form W-9 to you and show you how to fill it out.
If you’re an independent contractor, a self-employed service provider, or a firm that offers services to another business entity, you must complete IRS Form W-9. At the conclusion of the tax year, your client will give you a Form 1099-MISC based on the information you submit on this form.
Most of your customers will often request that you complete Form W-9. It is preferable to fill out the W-9 form and preserve it for future use since you will probably need to submit it more than once. Using PDF Expert, the finest PDF editor for Mac and iOS, you can quickly and effortlessly fill out the IRS W-9 form on any iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
How to get the W-9 form?
If a client or customer requests that you complete the W-9 form, they’ll probably also provide you a copy of it. The IRS W-9 form is also available for Mac download if you want. Although the form is available on a number of websites, we advise downloading it straight from the IRS website here so that you always have the most up-to-date and accurate copy of it.
How to complete the W-9 form
With PDF Expert, filling out PDF forms is a breeze. Here are 5 quick steps to get it done:
- Activate your W-9 PDF form.
- To enter information, click any field and begin typing (see notes below)
- The filled form should be saved to cloud storage for later retrieval.
- To send the form to your customer, print it, sign it, and add a date.
Write your name or the name of your business precisely as it appears on your tax returns on page 1.
p.2 – Indicate here if you are doing business under a different name.
p.3 – Read the list of business entity types carefully, then tick the box next to the one that applies to your company. The first checkbox should be selected for sole proprietors.
Enter the address at which you want the 1099-MISC form sent on pages 5, 6, and 7.
Part I – For sole proprietors, provide the SSN or EIN; you may use either one since they are interchangeable.
Avoid common errors while completing the W-9 form.
Everyone makes errors from time to time. On the other hand, errors on your tax returns might be expensive. Many people have learned the hard way that even a little error in one of the areas might have a major impact. While filling out your W-9 form, be sure to avoid the following frequent errors.
– Errors in your name or DBA on the W-9 might in fact lead to an audit since they give the IRS the impression that you failed to record your 1099-MISC form when you subsequently sent in your tax return.
– Making a typographical mistake on the SSN or EIN might result in the same outcome. Keep in mind that there is no way for your customer to confirm that the data you submitted on your W-9 form is accurate.
– Verify your postal address so you may get your 1099-MISC form later. If it is incorrect, you won’t.
Save all of your forms in one location, like on your iPad using PDF Expert. Quick access will be possible anytime you need them. Once again, make sure the information on your W-9 is correct. This will guarantee that the IRS receives accurate reporting of the money you receive. Always talk to your financial adviser if you have any questions.