Instructions must be followed
- Only fill out the form in English.
- The fields with an asterisk (*) are required.
- Mention the ten-digit PAN number accurately.
- If just a new PAN card is necessary, do not complete the check boxes on the left side of the form. The check box in front of the appropriate field where the modification is necessary should be chosen for any update/correction in PAN data.
Filling Out the Form Instructions
- Your complete name
- Name to be Printed on the Card 3. Parents’ Information (Applicable to Individuals only)
- Date of Birth / Incorporation / Agreement / Partnership or Trust Deed / Formation of Individuals / Persons’ Association
- The gender
- Photo Misalignment
- Signature Misalignment
- Communication Address
- Update Other Contact Information
- Contact information (phone number and e-mail address)
- Aadhaar Number (for ‘Individual’ Indian citizens)
- Mention any additional Permanent Account Numbers (PANs) that were assigned to you unintentionally.
- Thumb imprint / signature
Documents that must be included with the application
Identity and Address Proof
- In the specific directions for papers to be presented, the documents that are admissible as evidence of identity and residence are listed.
- Proof of identity and address must be in the applicant’s full extended name as stated on the application form.
- If the applicant is a juvenile (under the age of 18 at the time of application), any document accepted as evidence of identity and address of either of the minor’s parents/guardians will be considered proof of identity and address of the applicant.
- Proof of address in the name of a spouse, parents, brother, or other relative will not be accepted.
- For the address listed in “Address for communication” in item no.7, proof of address is necessary. In the evidence, this address should be stated.
- If item no. 8 is checked and filled in, you must additionally provide verification of the address shown there.
- For the PAN presently in use, proof of PAN is necessary (i.e. existing PAN). This is necessary for the PAN stated at the start of the application before item no. 1.
- In the event of a cancellation request for any PAN, i.e., any PAN listed in Item No. 10, proof of PAN is also needed.
- Only one of the following may be used as proof of PAN: a photocopy of your PAN card; In place of a PAN card, a copy of the Income Tax Department’s notification letter informing PAN; A copy of the FIR (indicating the loss of the PAN card) may be supplied if one of the aforementioned documents is not available.
Without a copy of the FIR, the application will be handled on a ‘best effort’ basis if evidence of PAN (as specified above) is not provided. If there are inconsistencies between the PAN or the data supplied in the application and the ITD database during verification at Protean, the application may not be processed, and the processing fee will be lost.
Proof of Change Is Needed
To support a request for correction or modification in PAN data such as name, father’s name, or date of birth, the applicant must produce additional documented verification, such as:
Requests for minor changes (spelling corrections, initial expansions, etc.) in the applicant’s or father’s name must be accompanied by appropriate evidence of identification including the revised information.
A request for a name change (major change) in the applicant’s or father’s name must be accompanied by evidence of identification as well as documentation of name change from the old to the new. In this scenario, the following papers will be considered as proof:
- For married females, a marriage certificate, marriage invitation card, publication of ‘name-change’ in gazette, a certificate from a gazetted official declaring name change, and a copy of passport displaying husband’s name are all required.
- Individual applicants who are not married females must provide a certificate from a gazetted authority declaring the name change, as well as a publication of the ‘name-change’ in the gazette.
- For businesses, a ROC certificate for a name change is required.
- Partnership Deed Revised for Partnership Firms
- The amended registration/deed/agreement for additional categories that are registered organizations (AOP/Trust/BOI/AJP, etc.).
Requests for date of birth correction (for persons) and date of incorporation correction (for non-individuals) must be accompanied by papers issued by a competent authority that reflect the correct date.
Even if a change in communication address is not requested in the application, the address for communication in the ITD database will be updated with the address for communication specified in the application.
The applicant will be notified if the core data relating to the PAN (the applicant’s name, date of birth, father’s name (for individual), name and date of incorporation [for non-individual]) provided in the application substantially differs from the PAN data in the ITD database and the applicant has not requested a change in the same with sufficient supporting documents. In this scenario, the applicant will be required to provide the relevant supporting documentation.