How Do I Check and Update My Settled Status?

How Do I Check and Update My Settled Status

After you’ve applied for the EU Settlement Scheme, the Home Office will send you an email informing you of your status.

This is the letter that informs you of your decision.

Checking your status

You may check your pre-settled or settled status on GOV.UK when you get your decision letter.

If you’re from the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, you won’t get a card indicating whether you’re pre-settled or settled; instead, you’ll have to check your status online.

Checking your child´s status

Your child will have their own profile on the internet. You’ll need the email address or phone number you provided when you submitted your child’s application to check their progress on GOV.UK.

Demonstrating your status

Until July 1, 2021, you do not need to verify your settled status. You may receive a share code from GOV.UK to show someone your current status. Your decision letter does not imply that you are in good standing.

Prior to July 1, 2021

Your passport or ID can still be used to verify your eligibility to work, rent, or use the NHS.

It might be discrimination if an employer or landlord requires you to show your settled status before July 1, 2021. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact Citizens Advice.

From July 1, 2021

Local governments, landlords, and employers will be able to verify your status online starting July 1, 2021.

Learn about your rights as a settled or pre-settled person.

Demonstrating that you are eligible to receive benefits

You have the same right to claim benefits as UK citizens if you have established status, which is known as your ‘right to dwell.’

You’ll need to provide proof of residency when you go to the Jobcentre for your interview. You can do so in one of two ways:

  • Obtain a copy of your settled status determination letter by printing it.
  • sending the Jobcentre a share code so that they may check your settled status online (you can receive a share code from GOV.UK).

Contact Citizens Advice if the Jobcentre requests for further documentation or claims they can’t verify your settled status.

You don’t automatically have the “right to reside” to claim benefits if you have pre-settled status. You may have the right to reside for a variety of reasons, such as your job or family. Check to see if you have the right to live there.

Maintaining your current status

You must update your status on a regular basis. If the following applies to you, you must update your online status on GOV.UK:

  • If your passport expires, for example, you must renew or replace the identity document you used to apply.
  • If you marry, for example, you may alter your name.
  • if your phone number or email address changes – Your contact information must be current in order to view or share your status.

If you are a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland,

When you enter the UK, your online status may be verified at the border.

You can use your national ID card to enter the UK until at least December 31, 2025 if you have pre-settled or settled status.

From October 1, 2021, if you don’t have pre-settled or settled status, you’ll require a passport to enter the UK. You may still utilize the eGates at UK airports if you have a biometric passport.

GOV.UK has information on what you’ll need to enter the UK.

If you are a citizen of a nation that is not a member of the EU, the EEA, or Switzerland

Depending on whether you currently have a biometric residence card or permit, you may be issued a new card to confirm your pre-settled or settled status.

If you don’t have a biometric resident card or permission, you won’t be able to enter the country.

An EU Settlement Scheme biometric residency card will be mailed to you. Make sure you bring it with you on your trip; you’ll need it to enter the United Kingdom.

If you have a biometric residency card, you can use it.

EU Settlement Scheme resident cards are replacing biometric residence cards.

You may still enter the UK with your old card, but it will be much easier if you exchange it for an EU Settlement Scheme biometric resident card.

You can also exchange your old card with a biometric EU Settlement Scheme residence card:

  • when you’ve been pre-settled or settled
  • if your original card has been lost, stolen, or is about to expire
  • if you change your status from pre-settled to settled

On GOV.UK, you may exchange your old card for an EU Settlement Scheme biometric residency card. When applying, make sure you select “biometric residence card” rather than “biometric residence permit.”

If you’re claiming for benefits, you may still use your original biometric residency card to verify you’re a family member of an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen.

You won’t be able to enter your EU, EEA, or Swiss family member’s nation using your original biometric residency card; instead, you’ll need to verify if a visa is required.

Residence cards with biometric data

A biometric residency card is a credit card-sized pink and blue paper. It will be called a’resident card,’ a ‘permanent residence card,’ or a ‘derived residential card.’

If you have a biometric residency permit, you can enter the country.

You can continue to enter the UK with your permit.

If you receive pre-settled or settled status, you may exchange your permit for an EU Settlement Scheme biometric residence card on GOV.UK.

If any of the following apply to you, you may seek to exchange your permission for a residency card:

  • You don’t have “indefinite leave to remain” or “settlement” on your original permit.
  • You have ‘no recourse to public monies,’ according to your initial authorization.
  • The validity of your initial permit is going to expire.

The EU Settlement Scheme biometric residence card will make it easier for you to enter the UK when you travel if you have pre-settled or settled status. It will also demonstrate that you have the right to collect benefits if you have settled status.

Permits for biometric residency

A biometric residency permit is a credit card-sized pink and blue paper. It will be called a “residence permit.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *